Are you eager to pursue your own side hustle? Maybe you have a micro business idea that you have always wanted to get started with? Is eCommerce your next side hustle? There are some big names out there, with a lot of capital and the means to be at their customers’ beck and call 24 hours a day. The competition is fierce, but with these 5 truths, you will be equipped to compete with the big players and make your company just as successful.
Work Small, Dream Big
Starting out your new side hustle is very exciting, but it can also feel overwhelming at times. There are many tasks required to get your business established, but don’t let them put you off. Sure, there is a lot of hard work to be done, and all alongside your day job, but try to work in sizable chunks rather than attempting to do everything at once. Try making a list and working on it step-by-step.
While it is good to dream and keep your focus on the big picture, it’s also important to understand that when your attention is split in all different ways, you can become unproductive. Focus on one thing at a time.
- Break tasks into manageable chunks and set achievable goals to work towards
- Don’t set unrealistic tasks or you’re setting yourself up to fail
- Push yourself to be productive in the time you do have to work on your side hustle
Organization is the Key to Success
Starting your side hustle is challenging at the best of times, especially when you’re juggling a full-time job. But it is all very possible to achieve when you’re organized and motivated. Sure, you are going to hit bumps in the road and have a few difficult days to overcome, but continuing to work productively will give you so much more time in the day.
- Make three separate to-do lists – one for your full-time job, one for your side hustle and one for your personal life. Knowing what you need to achieve and what you need to focus on will keep you on the track to success. There are some great free tools to help keep you organized, why not give them a try?
- Schedule social media – do not fall short on social media because this is an amazing marketing tool for your eCommerce store. It’s so easy to put this one on the backburner when you feel you have more pressing matters to contend with, but the truth is that social media is key to reaching your customers. You can spend one hour a week on this task and even set up scheduled posts using a service like Hootsuite.
Don’t Sell Yourself Short – Market Your Brand
Marketing is essential when you’re working online. It will get your company’s name out there and distinguish you from the other hardcore entrepreneurs and big companies in eCommerce. Don’t be fooled by common marketing myths – you need to put as much attention into marketing your brand as you do tweaking your actual site.
- Use keywords to optimize your website – use free tools like io or Answerthepublic and get your site ranking.
- Social media – set up fresh new accounts for your store on platforms that suit your brand. Keep it populated and engage with your audience. Here are the 5 top reasons your brand should be on social media.
- Come up with innovative ways to get your brand noticed – try to think of wacky ways to get your name out there. Find out how to market your brand with these 64 creative marketing ideas.
The Perfect Design Will Not Mean Automatic Sales
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither will your store. Crafting the perfect website takes time but with the help of a few tools, your website will be up and running in no time. Tools make your website easier to use and will shave valuable hours off your side hustle venture.
- Unless you are a web design genius, you will struggle to get your website up and running quickly. To speed up the process, use an eCommerce platform to open your online store quickly and easily.
- Develop great user experience on your site. Simple navigation and no distracting pop ups paired with professional product photos and an easy checkout process will boost conversion rates and give your customers the best possible experience.
- Try out analytics tools to see how users are responding. Take a look at the 7 most useful analytics tools to help you better understand your website and your audience.
Handling Products Will Only Slow You Down
Dropshipping can make life so much easier, especially since this is your side hustle. You don’t have all the time in the world to focus on sourcing your own products, storing and delivering them to customers. Why not consider supplying someone else’s products using a dropshipping company to deliver products to your customers?
- Find a reputable dropshipping company
- Test the company out to see if they work well
- Make sure they are punctual and reliable as they are representing your brand
Starting your own side hustle is all about taking a risk and seeing what comes of it. Starting your own eCommerce store is a great side hustle because it’s relatively low risk and has the potential to be highly rewarding. There is no reason you cannot handle a full-time job and run your own side hustle at the same time. It is all possible if you put in the hard work. It takes dedication, but if you are up to the challenge then the rewards will be great.
Are there any other truths of starting your own eCommerce side hustle? Share your own experiences below.
About The Author
Passionate about writing for the startup and entrepreneurial audience, I have recently been part of setting up an exciting project at MicroStartups.org. We donate all our website profits to charities that help people reach their full potential. Find out more on Twitter.